Monday, June 10, 2013

Star Trek: The Odds (I, III, V)




Awhile back I reviewed all the even numbered Star Trek movies from the original series...guess what? You can check those out right HERE...  go ahead, do it. After watching the new Star Trek Into Darkness film I decided to go back and give all the odd numbered movies from the original series a re-watch.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
(1979) [Trailer]
Director: Robert Wise [IMDB]

Synopsis: After a 10 year absence from television, the crew of the Enterprise have reunited to go up against an unknown alien presence that's threatening to destroy the Earth.

This film gets a bad rap and many consider it the worst Star Trek film (of the original series.) The main problem for me is... it's way too long, there are all these long drawn-out scenes in space that are unneeded and make things pretty boring at times, especially at the beginning of the film. It has some pretty spectacular special effects, especially for the time, so I think that's why they spend so much time showing them off, but it's really unnecessary.  This was my third time watching this film and like the two times before it I had forgotten what takes place during the movie, I don't know it that's good thing or not. Other than that, the same staples that make most Star Trek films enjoyable are there... a good cast, dialogue and an interesting story... too bad it just takes forever to roll out.




Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
(1984) [Trailer]
Director: Leonard Nimoy [IMDB]

Synopsis: Kirk and the boys set out to the Genesis planet to find Phil Collins... I'm kidding, they're looking for Spock.

This film relies heavily on Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan to set it up, so I would recommend you watch that before diving into this. That said, it's a pretty descent follow up to Wrath of Khan, but not nearly as good. I like the addition of the Klingons and thought Christopher Lloyd was a good villain, even though it's hard to imagine him as anyone but Doc Brown. The heist of the enterprise was fun to see unfold, although one plot hole... you're telling me there's only one ship Starfleet has available in the surrounding area that can chase after the Enterprise? I call bullshit. I'm not sure why there's so much hate for this film, I've always thought it was alright. There is one thing... the fingering of Spock was a pretty creepy scene.




Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
(1989) [Trailer]
Director: William Shatner [IMDB]

Synopsis: The Enterprise is highjacked by a man who believes he has found God and takes the crew on a trip to the center of the galaxy to find Heaven.

The first time I saw this film I remember thinking it was really good (I was very young), after a second viewing it dropped tremendously in favorability... so where does it rank now? On my third viewing of The Final Frontier, one thing that stands out immediately, and that's is how bad the dialogue is at times. The comedic tone felt cheesy, as opposed to part IV, which is a genuinely hilarious film. There are definitely some cringe worthy moments, like both scenes involving the rocket boots... ughhh.

One thing really quickly: The Klingon captain is hell bent on fighting the Enterprise, but why, cause he's bored... he just seemed like a wasted character and really unnecessary.

I did like the overall idea of the film, it reminded me of something that would have been explored in the TV series, it just wasn't executed very well. I still don't hate this film, even with all its flaws it was still enjoyable for me, maybe it's because I'm into the characters and the universe... I would imagine this film would be hell for someone that's not into Star Trek.



Next up for me in Star Trek Land will be the Next Generation films. I'm gonna pick up the set on blu-ray soon and I'll have those coming your way at some point soon. Get pumped... or don't. Whatever... asshole.

No comments:

Post a Comment