Friday, June 14, 2013

Repo Man


Repo Man
(1984) [Trailer]
Director: Alex Cox [IMDB]

In high school (and today) I was a fan of the stuff they call the punk rock. If you liked punk, chances are you were fond of the movie Repo Man. I wasn't. I remember little about this film, other than the soundtrack featured Black Flag and the Circle Jerks were the lounge band. I recently picked up the newly pressed Criterion blu-ray and decided to give it a rewatch.

Synopsis: Emilio Chestevez is a punker who falls into the job of repo man... from there, things getting a little weird.

Repo Man is a strange title that might not be for everyone. It's one of those films I think people got attached to when it came out in the 80's then into the 90's. But today I could see a 20 year old watching this for the first time and hating it... but who gives a shit about what a 20 year old thinks. There are lots of funny subtle things the director injects throughout the film which I really enjoyed and I'm not even sure if all of it was on purpose or not. Just like with punk music, it's a stripped down and simple film, but extremely unconventional... and it works.

Repo Man is by no means perfect, there is some poor acting at times and the pacing is a little dicey. I could compare it to when I go back and look at my first band's demo tape. The xeroxed artwork was slightly crooked, there's that bass line I fucked up on, and a slight hum throughout its runtime. Those little flourishes are what gives it its charm. I loved revisiting this film and would recommend the Criterion release, which looks fantastic on blu-ray and the artwork is something to behold.


No comments:

Post a Comment