Sunday, February 12, 2012

Star Trek: The Evens (II, IV, VI)

My wife is out of town and that means I can hook up with a bunch of....... Star Trek movies. What did you think I was gonna say? Being a Trekkie of sorts, and her hating Star Trek, I figured this would be a prefect time to revisit three of my favorite movies from the original series... II, IV, VI... AKA 'the evens' (I coined that phrase, ask permission before using it, thanks.)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
(1982) [Trailer]
Director: Nicholas Meyer (IMDB)

Captain Kirk is no longer the Captain of the enterprise, he's an Admiral at Starfleet, and hating it. He just so happens to be called back aboard the Enterprise for a training cruise. Meanwhile, another federation ship called the Reliant, has been hijacked by Khan, a crazy guy Captain Kirk screwed over 15 years ago. Khan gains control of a dangerous weapon and Kirk is called back to the helm to face his old foe.

This was one of my favorite movies growing up. I remember the critter going inside Chekov's ear as being one of the scariest things I'd ever seen. It still fucks me up. This is one of the best sci-fi films made in my book. I could re-watch it over and over. I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but I love it. The special effects hold up, especially on blu-ray and the score is phenomenal. Ricardo Montalban as Khan is awesome, he's one of my favorite villains of all time. If you like Star Trek, I'm sure you'll agree, If you don't like Star Trek, you're an asshole... I'm kidding. No I'm not... sorry Wife.



Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
(1986) [Trailer]
Director: Leonard Nimoy (IMDB)

The gang is all back and this time they're in a Bird of Prey! My favorite Star Trek ship! I know what you're thinking, that I'm a dork, you would be correct. There's a strange probe that's found its way to Earth and is threatening to evaporate the oceans. It's emitting a noise and the team figure out it's an interpretation of a humpback whale's song. Only problem is, there are no whales left for the probe to communicate with. So Kirk and Co. go back in time, find whales, and bring them back to the 23rd century... hopefully.

This was the highest grossing installment of the franchise
(until JJ Abrams reboot in 2009) and overall I'd say the most popular. It's good, but there are some flaws here and there. It's really fun to see the crew in the 21st century, and the time travel element was interesting. It's kind of lame how easy it was for them to go back in time, but whatever, I got over it. When I saw this as a kid I thought the effects where mind blowing (especially the Bird of Prey) and they still hold up for the most part. All and All, it was okay, and gets a passing grade. This Guy would love this movie.



Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
(1991) [Trailer]
Director: Nicholas Meyer (IMDB)

The Klingons are fucked. They have no more resources to keep them afloat and they're on a path to ruin. The Federation are trying to broker a deal for peace and decide to send Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise in to mediate. The negotiations don't go as planned and Kirk and Dr McCoy are taken prisoner by the Klingons. They're sentenced to life in prison for a crime they didn't commit and have to escape to clear their name.

Man... what a good movie. It blends sci-fi, a dash of a police procedural, and mystery all into one... plus, there's a pretty sweet prison break too. There's an obvious allegory to the end of Cold World between the States and mother Russia, which was pretty cool to see played out between Humans and Klingons. To watch Kirk, and others, get over their prejudices and learn to trust their old enemy, was really well executed on screen. Just like any Star Trek films involving Nicholas Meyer, the direction, effects, and score were all top notch. Take time to check this out if you haven't, it's really good, trekkie or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment