Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fargo

Fargo
(1996) [Trailer]
Directors: Ethan Coen (IMDB), Joel Coen (IMDB)

I've traveled to every state in the U.S. except for Montana, Idaho, South and North Dakota. I've, at some point, got to go to those 4 bad boys so I can knock that crap off my bucket list. I've been compiling a list of shit to do in each state, but I'm running into a little issue, there's nothing to see in North Dakota except.... you guessed it... Fargo. Oh wait, you didn't guess it, oh well.

This is the story of Jerry Lundegaard (William H Macy) and how much of an idiot he is. Jerry hires Carl Showalter (Steve Buscemi) and Gaear Grimsrud (Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife so Jerry can collect the ransom money from her rich father. Carl and Gaear end up abducting her but are pulled over by a state trooper in route to their hide out, they kill him and two other unfortunate passerbyers who witness the murder. Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand), a local cop, is called in to investigate and she starts to unravel the crime.

I'll start by saying this movie is perfect, and I wouldn't change anything about it. I've seen it many times and feel the same way after viewing it. The Coen Brothers know how to tell a story, and this is them at their best (also reference THIS). The performances of everyone are so well executed, you feel drawn into the quirky little world they've created and it seems so believable. I love how you know shits going to go south immediately from the very first line of dialog in this film, and boy does it ever get screwed up. This story also has a great little juxtaposition, Jerry's family is ruined because of his greed and yet Marge's family (her husband and soon to be baby) are completely happy living within their means. Mo money, Mo problems! Hopefully you've already seen this, if you haven't you really should right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment