Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Interrupters

The Interrupters
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Steve James (IMDB)

I'm a lucky guy. I grew up in a great neighborhood, I have two parents that love me very much, and I love them. I'm fortunate. Sadly, there's a tons of people who can't say the same thing. It's a shit world, but there's still a glimmer of hope.

The Interrupters are a group of Chicago based activists that hit the rough city streets in order to stop gang violence. They are all ex gang bangers who want to try and make their city a safer place to live.

This documentary is awesome. I missed it in the theaters last year, and have been trying to track it down ever since. It was really hard to find until Frontline on PBS aired it for free the other night and my good friend alerted me about it. It's extremely captivating, powerful, and I felt like crying a few times while watching this... that's right, I'm not afraid to admit that. I would highly recommend you watch this and you can do so if you have PBS or it's on their website for free right HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment