Friday, February 17, 2012

Take Shelter

Take Shelter
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Jeff Nichols (IMDB)

People with my name rule. Curtis is a great name and I think it's the best ever. I bet you wish you had it... sorry you do not. I rule.

Curtis (not me, but Michael Shannon) is an average joe raising a family in rural Ohio. One day he starts having premonitions of an on coming apocalyptic storm. His visions come to him in his dreams primarily and they start to get pretty fucked up. Curtis thinks he has a mental illness, because of his mother, who's insane. He takes it upon himself to start pimping out his storm shelter in the back yard, just in case he's not nuts. As time passes he gets a little more insane, or is he normal and everyone else is insane, I guess you'll have to watch and find out.

This movie was at the top of the list of films I wanted to see last year but never got the chance too. I loved this, and had I seen it last year, it could have possibly made my top ten, and definitely my honorable mentions. It's got all the right elements I need in a movie. It's suspenseful and creepy. It's beautifully shot and the score is eerie. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain are perfect in it. The story is original and well executed. It's just a really solid film, and holds your attention throughout. It's on VOD and blu-ray so what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment