Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lost in Translation



Lost in Translation
(2003) [Trailer]
Director: Sofia Coppola (IMDB)

This movie has all the right ingredients for a perfect movie. You have Sophia Coppola at the helm, you have Bill Murray and Scarjo as the leads and Japan as the back drop. So with all those spices up in the mix why is this movie such shit.... just joking... it rules.

Bill Murray is an aging actor who's traveled to Tokyo for the week to earn a quick million hocking Santory Whiskey. Scarlett Johansson is with her photographer husband who is there to shoot a band. Scarlett and Bill form an unlikely bond as they do their best to deal with the foreign surroundings that have made then feel alienated.

This was my favorite film of 2003 and it still holds up nicely, especially on blu-ray. Coppola really does a fantastic job with this and both the cinematography and soundtrack are prefect. Bill Murray is also spot on, and his part couldn't have been cast better. My co-worker, who lived in Japan says this movie is offensive. I guess I don't see it? Maybe I haven't been to Japan before, but nothing in this seemed mean spirited or racist. Just more of a fish out of water story, and I think it could have been just as effective in Mumbai or Beijing. I'm open for debate on that. If you've seen it, see it again. If you haven't, my advice would be that you do.

1 comment:

  1. This is still one of my favorite movies for when I am feeling down in the dumps. Such a great film that shows us that no one has to be alone in a big city.

    ReplyDelete