Thursday, December 13, 2012

Amour

Amour
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Michael Haneke [IMDB]

I've been reading a lot of buzz about this film. It picked up the Palme d'Or at Cannes, has been atop many "best of 2012" lists, and almost gave the folks over at Gawker a heart attack. I decided to finally give into the hype machine and check this bad larry out.

Synopsis: An aging couple's love is put to the test when one of them falls ill and starts down the path towards death.

Now, if that synopsis didn't set off any bells maybe this will... this movie is bleak. It's not a feel good film in any sense and will probably make you want to have a drink afterwards... well maybe that's just me being an alcoholic. It's extremely sad and had me in tears throughout many scenes, I normally dont tear up in movies, but this one destroyed me. Wow... I don't know where to start, I was floored by this and the emotions it invoked in me. This is filmmaking at it's best and is truly worthy of terms like "masterpiece" and "a work of art." I haven't felt this moved by a film since I first saw Wild Strawberries, which actually shares a lot of the same themes. Both Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva are perfect, and Michael Haneke's direction is flawless in my book.

Love is something a lot of people look for in this world and often times... think they've found. People will confuse it with lust and will lose it as quick as they found it. But when it's real, it's really beautiful and when you see a film like Amour shed light on it in a unique way, it makes you appreciate it so much more. I finished this film and wondered how many people who say they are in love would go through this, this is really love.


No comments:

Post a Comment