Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Comedy


The Comedy
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Rick Alverson [IMDB]

If you follow my musings on this here website, you'll recall a review I made about Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie a few months back.... oh, you don't remember? That's cool. Well, they (Tim and Eric) are back, but this time are getting a little more serious. I saw the trailer for this a few months back and it looked pretty interesting, so I decided to give it a whirl.

Synopsis: Tim Heidecker is a bored privileged hipster who's indifferent to everything and everyone around him.

The Comedy is avante-guard and "weird." Many people will automatically hate and write it off as shit. Others, who are willing to sit through it, may find it enjoyable. It is nowhere near perfect, but I did like The Comedy and it managed to do a rather effective job at keeping me entertained last night.

The Comedy is humorous at times, but as opposed to everything you've come to expect from Tim and Eric, it has a much more earnest feel to it. Heidecker does a good job at hopping between absurd and funny, into dark and somber. He is, pretty much, the movie... Eric is only on screen for a few scenes. Tim is also, as always, extremely adept at making the viewer feel really uncomfortable. One other thing The Comedy does well is exuding a feeling of emptiness about the protagonist, he feels like a man with no purpose and direction... which is something I wasn't expecting from this film at all.

The down side to The Comedy is some of the writing. For me, there were a lot of misfired jokes, or attempts at humor which didn't work.... who knows with them though, was that intentional? Also the film lacks plot, it really goes nowhere, I didn't mind that... but I could see that being problematic for a lot of viewers.


No comments:

Post a Comment