Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cronenberg Fest




This really isn't a fest, it's a viewing of multiple movies by a favorite director of mine. I started with John Carpenter and Werner Herzog, now I'm moving onto David Cronenberg. I remember going to music "fests" as a teen/20something and thinking... what's this a festival of... a bunch of shitty bands? I guess you could say that about these posts.

The Brood
(1979) [Trailer]
Director: David Cronenberg (IMDB)

Synopsis: A man and his daughter cope while mommy is getting therapy... whats wrong with her you ask? Watch this movie and find out, you inquisitive fuck.

Kids are assholes. If you follow this blog, you know my stance on this subject. If you think I'm wrong, just go ahead and pop this bad boy in, it'll get you on my side by the end. You're not going to do that are you? Fine... just watch THIS VIDEO... they suck.

This film isn't perfect, but pretty close. Think slow paced thriller mixed with scary movie. It's a thinking man's horror film... I have no idea what that means, but I like it.

It stars Peter Dinklage's non-little person doppleganger, I decided to give you an example: Peter Dinklage vs Art Hindle.
 


Scanners
(1981) [Trailer]
Director: David Cronenberg (IMDB)

Synopsis: A man with extraordinary psychic powers is hired by a corporation to track down others like him, they're called Scanners.

Scanners is a pretty decent film and given it's age, it holds up nicely. I had read going into this that it's a horror movie, I'd disagree, it's more of a psychological thriller.

It's practical effects are awesome, so awesome that there's a pretty famous gif from this film that floats around the internet. 

The film's protagonist looks just like my friend Scott Meyer, I decided to give you an example: Scott and his Doppelganger. Unfortunately, he's not the greatest actor and his performance took me out of the film a lot. The film tends to drag on a little in the middle, however the ending is amazing. I wont spoil anything but I loved it.


The Dead Zone
(1983) [Trailer]
Director: David Cronenberg (IMDB)

Synopsis: After rising from a 5 year coma Christopher Walken gains the ability to read people futures. Is this a gift or a curse? Hmmm... guess you'll have to watch the film won't you.... no... okay... it's a curse.


This movie is my least favorite Cronenberg film to date. It's not bad, just not really Cronenbergesque. Besides that, there are a few other things I wasn't a fan of. The story and tone start in one direction, then switch gears midstream. I also felt like it had an almost made for TV feel to it, which seems to happen a lot with Stephen King's adaptions. The ending was pretty interesting but overall I would pass on this and watch another Cronenberg release.



eXistenZ
(1999) [Trailer]
Director: David Cronenberg (IMDB)

Synopsis: As told by my wife, "A game designer designs a disgusting clitoris that brings you to another world."

This is up there as one of the strangest films I've seen and I think it rules. It leaves you with questons: "What was real?", "Who was the bad guy?", "Was that an umbilical chord?" 

The effects in this are incredible. They're absolutely nasty and slimy and creepy and.... ahhh they're the best, seriously I loved it. I'm pretty sure my wife hated it.

Jude Law, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Willem Defoe were spot on and helped deliver a great story that kept me intrigued for the whole ride.  Be warned.. this is a weird one, but if you're into stuff that's outside the box... give it a poke.




No comments:

Post a Comment