Monday, April 16, 2012

Cabin in the Woods



Cabin in the Woods
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Joss Whedon (IMDB)

(No Spoilers)
I have been eagerly awaiting the release of this film for a few weeks now. As a fan of horror and a fan of Joss Whedon I knew it was more than likely going to please. One thing I didn't want to know about was the plot, I heard it had some twists and I didn't want the film to be spoiled for me. I am glad I made that choice.

Thor and a group of kids head out to a cabin in the woods for some R&R. Sounds a little like the synopsis to this review. Unlike that movie, this film takes some pretty surprising turns.

I knew I was going to like movie after the title of the film appears on screen for the first time about ten minutes in. This was a fun ride and extremely unique in the horror world, at least from anything that I've seen. It does a fine dance between paying homage to the classic horror films of the 70's and 80's while still taking jabs at how the genre has become stale and formulaic. I enjoyed the comedy in this a lot, especially from the stoner guy (Fran Kranz) and Richard Jenkins. There were a couple of holes in the plot that I found, but I'll save that as it gets into spoiler territory. As a whole, I was really happy with this movie and I'm looking forward to re-watching it soon. It opened this past weekend and you can check the trailer above.


No comments:

Post a Comment