Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Secret Garden



The Secret Garden
(1993) [Trailer]
Director: Agnieszka Holland (IMDB)

After putting my wife through over 8 hours worth of Transformers bullshit she decided to make me watch something she wanted to see. This was that movie. Yeah...

A little rich girls parents die and she's forced to move from India to England to live in a castle with her Uncle. She finds a (sorry spoiler) secret garden and a bunch of other shit.

I thought I was going to hate this when one of the first lines in the opening monologue is the little girl stating that she grew up in India and it was weird there. Sorry, but if you grew up there, it wouldn't be weird, it'd be normal. Moving to a huge fucking castle in England would be weird. I continued on and the movie got better. The performances by the kids were annoying at times, but kids are annoying, so what can you do? There's also some very weird incest stuff that's never really resolved going on in there, don't know about all that. The direction in the film is pretty solid and there's a lot of cool cinematography, especially the time lapse stuff in the garden. I also enjoyed the set pieces and location, everything seemed very authentic. I don't know.... it doesn't overstay it's welcome, the story isn't too bad, and the delivery is decent... it gets a pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment