Sunday, April 15, 2012

Twilight Zone: The Movie



Twilight Zone: The Movie
(1983) [Trailer]
Directors: John Landis (IMDB), Steven Spielberg (IMDB), Joe Dante (IMDB), George Miller (IMDB)

This movie freaked me the hell out as a child. I remember being scared of racists, being scared of old people, being scared of other kids, and being scared of flying. Thanks to this movie all those things are still true.

Segment 1: After an epic racial tirade, this old anti Semite gets blasted back through time to see just how it feels to be on the receiving end of hate. I love this one. I know people will say it's preachy and shit, but they are bigots, so who cares. The Nazis have never looked more evil.  I think they could have found a better scenario then placing him in Vietnam however. The end is creepy and effective. Good Stuff.

Segment 2: Spielberg delivers a story of magic as old people get to feel what it's like to be young again. I think this is generally considered to be the worst of the bunch, I like it however. It's completely not scary, but still a fun tale and delivered with style. The one older kid with the cape kinda sucks though.

Segment 3: A women gets drawn into a house where a boy has any wish he wants come true. One of my all time favorite horror pieces. Joe Dante rules this segment and delivers a super creepy installment. The practical effects are the absolute best. They are scary yet maintain that cartoony look. I love the set design of this house. It's so unsettling and weird, the bedroom is sinister and the sister in it looks insane. I really can't praise this one enough. It's been awhile since I've seen it and it's probably better then I remember.

Segment 4: A man loses his shit on a flight when he sees a monster on the wing of his plane. John Lithgow's at his absolute best. He plays bat shit crazy extremely well. The scenes of the monster out on the wing is very spooky and mysterious. When you finally get the close up, the monster is great, he kinda looks like a gremlin meets the predator.

Definitely pick this up if you haven't seen it before. If you have, it's a fun revisit.


No comments:

Post a Comment