Sunday, July 22, 2012

Robocop


Robocop
(1987) [Trailer]
Director: Paul Verhoeven (IMDB)

I've brought up the nostalgia pass on this blog many times and I got to thinking about it. Should I really give a 5 star rating to a film I loved as a child, but now, may not be a perfect film? I think so, yes. I love the way movies like Krull, Gremlins, Commando, Aliens, and Rambo make me feel. They're like that favorite dish your Mom makes for you, sure it's not the Citrus Cured Australian Kampachi from Per Se, but it's still one of the best meals ever in your eyes. Robocop is like that for me. It's my shitty Polo sweatshirt I bought from a flea market in the 7th grade... I don't always wear it, but when I do it feels great.

Synopsis: Peter Weller is a Detroit cop who gets fucked up by a group of criminals and is so badly injured that they decide to turn him into a cyborg killing machine called... you guessed it... Robocop!

I watched this film to death as a young lad and for good reason. It's filled with great special effects, gore, violence, and all the other elements that make up a great Paul Verhoeven film. I especially enjoy the use of commercials throughout, which gives you the feeling of desensitization to all the madness unfolding.

There's a lot of theories surrounding this film out there and its deeper meanings. Besides Robocop being a digestible action flick, I think it's also a satirical view on modern times. Big business and capitalism's greed ultimately unfolding on the big screen and allowing the viewer to get a glimpse at the corruption abounding. It's pretty interesting to write things like that into the movie, whether or not it's intended by the film maker is a different story. Ultimately it's a fun ass time and what makes movies so awesome to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment