Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises


The Dark Knight Rises
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Christopher Nolan (IMDB)

I can appreciate (and enjoy) when a film maker pulls off a movie that feels like a comic book (e.g. Spider-man 2 or The Avengers), but I always felt like Nolan's Batman was a little different. The Dark Knight is by far my favorite comic book movie, but it's very nontraditional to me. It's almost like a crime flick that happens to have superheros in it. I was also a fan of Batman Begins, which felt a little more comic booky. Is comic booky even a real phrase? So where does The Dark Knight Rises sit among these films?

Synopsis: Batman is back after a 6 year hiatus and is confronted by a new nemesis... Bain capital... I mean Bane.

I liked TDKR but I didn't love it. It would be in third place for me out of all the Nolan installments. Maybe upon a rewatch it'll bump up.

The Good: The movie looks incredible and has some of the best cinematography of any of the films. The Hans Zimmer score is intense as always. The action sequences are awesome, I'll talk about one in spoilers that I especially enjoyed.

The Bad: The pacing was off for me, the first third is pretty slow then the film starts to ramp up a bit through the middle, then finishes strong towards the end. I felt like Alfred's reservations about Bruce Wayne's current state seemed really over blown, especially considering Batman's history.

SPOILER STARTI loved the fight scenes between Bane and Batman, especially the big one towards the end. The use of all the police and criminals surrounding the two as they duked it out was extremely effective in my book. I also dug the plan Bane enacted to take over the city, closing it off and trapping everyone in was a interesting spin on things. SPOILER END.

There are a lot of nitpicks you could have with this film, but honestly, I could sit down with any comic book movie and tear it apart. I had a good time with this over all and would recommend it for a good summer blockbuster.


4 comments:

  1. I want to see it, I just have to figure out when. I may have to fly solo if I want to see it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to disagree with you on the pacing, in regards to the build. The steady ramp up of energy is what you want in a film like this and I think that part was done rather well. I agree the beginning took a while to get rolling, but when you consider the amount of later reference plot points that are brought up, I wonder if it was even avoidable. Fight choreo was amazing, use of surroundings/objects intermingling of combatants and style is top notch. Overall a great film and one that I would like to see again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nate, I just felt like it was so overloaded with plot and exposition that it weighed down the film. Maybe on a second viewing a lot more of it will click. However,I do believe they could have trimmed the fat a bit and achieved the same result.

      Delete