Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Toy

The Toy
(1982) [Trailer]
Director: Richard Donner (IMDB)

This was a movie I loved watching as a kid. I haven't seen it in over 20 years...geez that make me sound old and shitty. I guess I am old and shitty. Fuck it. Anyways...I love Richard Pryor. Always have and always will, so I had a feeling this movie would hold up over time.

The Toy is about a rich millionaire (played by Jackie Gleason) who has a spoiled ass kid (the same kid who got his tongue stuck to the pole in A Christmas Story.) Richard Prior is an out of work writer who's cleaning up a department store owned by Jackie Gleason. One night Jackie's son sees Richard prior and decides he wants to buy him to play with. Richard reluctantly agrees. The two eventually form a friendship and start to drive Jackie Gleason crazy.

There's all the notes of a classic early 80's comedy in this and Richard Donner's direction is great. I love the psychical comedy bits and Pryor is just awesome to watch. There were some cheesy parts here and there but I got over it. It's not a masterpiece by any means, but a good watch on a lazy day. I'm glad I checked it out again, it was a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment