Sunday, January 1, 2012

Western Double Bill - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Unforgiven.

Just knocked out a seriously solid double bill featuring two of my (now) favorite Westerns: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Unforgiven. Both star your boy Clint, but both are extremely different.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
(1966) [Trailer]
Director: Sergio Leone (IMDB)

Now this is a long ass film. 3 hours long roughly. If that's not your cup of tea, I would definitely avoid it. I, however, love a good long..... flick. Especially when it delivers quality, which this here movie does, in many ways.

It centers around three main characters: The Good...Clint Eastwood aka Goldie, The Bad...Angel Eyes, and The Ugly...Tuco. There's a fortune to be found. Goldie crosses Tuco, who crosses Goldie, who crosses Angel Eyes, who crosses both of them....something along those lines...I won't ruin it for you. All you need to know is the overall story is great.

There's lots that I love about this film, first and foremost is the score. Ennio Morricone serves up one of the most classic film scores ever made by modern man, it is truly epic (I know that word is thrown around a lot, but this shit's truly epic, no joke.) Also the direction is flawless, Sergio Leone is a true master of westerns. His style dances around lots of great wide shots, cool zooms, and classic action that keeps you into the movie through the whole ride. Definitely check this film out if you haven't done so already. If you have, do it again.



Unforgiven
(1992) [Trailer]
Director: Clint Eastwood (IMDB)

I had never seen Unforgiven until the other day. It's one of those movie I knew would be good but, for whatever reason, just never got to it. I found the blu-ray used for 4 dollars at my secret spot (you wanna know where it is....yeah.....no) so I went ahead and picked it up...cause 4 bones is a deal son! Now, I'm kicking myself for sleeping on this film cause it is phenomenal.

Your boy Clint is back, much much later in life however, as a retired gunslinger who finds himself running low on funds and propositioned by a younger gunslinger to join up on a business venture that will lead to some serious scratch...if you know what I mean. He joins up and also calls on the help of Red from Shawshank to go hunt down some guys who fucked up this prostitute with a knife. The story snowballs from there, eventually Gene Hackman gets up in the mix and throws some curve balls to derail things a bit.

Your boy Clint can direct a damn movie. This film is beautifully shot and the pacing is perfect. There are a lot of things about this movie that I really enjoyed, especially some of it's undertones. I think Clint was really trying to show a film about a man who breaks down during hard times. No matter how much time passes and who he thought he became, in the end when shit got tough, he turned back into the man he really was...and alcoholic murderer...NICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment