Sunday, January 1, 2012

Warrior

Warrior
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Gavin O'Connor (IMDB)

I knew a lot about this movie going into it and I wasn't sure if I was gonna really like it or not. I had heard it's like MMA (Mixed Martial Arts for all you newbs) meets Rocky, and in a way I guess you could say that's true. Is that a bad thing? Who knows. I think a lot of people love to hate on MMA, probably because of all the tools that walk around with Tapout gear on and shit. However, at the end of the day it's an exciting sport, and that universe holds promise to have a really good story take place inside it.

Warrior centers around two brothers and Nick Nolte. Nick's their recovering acloholic father and they all hate each other. Liquor is a hell of a drug, and for the most part, tore their family to shit. Neither brother has spoken to each other in years and Nolte's just trying to get the fam back on track. There's a lot of twists and turns that have the two brothers eventually fitted to go up against each other in a huge MMA contest.

Trust me, there's a lot of stuff in here that's not too believable. If you were to hold on to some of those things, it could ruin the film for you. Like that fact that both brothers just happen to be no name fighters who both, through completely different events, land in the rankings to enter a huge multimillion dollar MMA event. Or that a teacher could get suspended for being in MMA outside of school. But, it's Hollywood and you gotta sweetin' up the story a bit. I honestly liked this movie a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it's extremely entertaining and I was into it from beginning to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment